Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Bathroom chats in other galaxies

Men are always intrigued by the fact that women like to go to the bathroom together. What happens in there? What are they talking about? Perhaps it’s not the same for men but many a wonderful heartfelt conversations actually happen in the girl’s bathroom.

Blame it on my small bladder but I often find myself in the ladies restroom no matter where I am and as a result I have had substantial life conversations in the bathroom.

From discussing relationship issues to talking about career changes and trajectories, the bathroom provides that extra privacy far way from the real “working world”.

In the bathroom, it seems safe to talk about our fears and our hopes: our present, our past, and our future. Today I was telling my coworker that my last day of work is next week and that I have enjoyed my time working as a career advisor at a university immensely. My coworker reminded me that in uncertain times better opportunities usually come our way and as cliché as it sounds, when one door closes another one opens. She told me about her own personal journey of keeping the faith, how it took longer than she expected to get where she was but how her faith and her flexibility increased as a result.

I always imagined myself to be in a secure, comfortable and established place at the ripe age of 30. Most lawyers are practical by nature and have their lives planned out. However, I am finding as my current position is coming to an end that I am once again at the juncture of self-evaluation. One of the blessings of being a career advisor is interacting with students and professionals who are in transition and/or searching for a position. Through their hopes, their fears, and their actions, I am able to see a little glimpse of some of the issues and doubts that plague all humanity and it serves as a gentle reminder for me that everything somehow will work out in the grand scheme of things.

The grand scheme of things seem to be quite elusive when you are in flux and the compass for your life’s direction does not seem to want to point to any one place in particular to help you ground your way. But if you look beyond your own life, beyond human life, beyond even our hemisphere and solar system you may realize that there is much more beyond our daily concern. My brother (a self-proclaimed nerd and Trekkie) and I, were discussing Canis Majoris, a red hyper giant star 4900 light years away and about 500,000 times bigger than our sun. It’s very existence and the possibility of parallel life forms all of a sudden diminishes the importance of whether or not one will get a paycheck this week.

I’m not sure if there are parallel life forms in other galaxies and unlike my brother I don’t spend too much time pondering over these things; but if there are, I hope that those life forms also have safe havens like the girls’ bathroom where are able to share their lives, their dreams and their hopes and fears.

No comments:

Post a Comment